Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Ngorongoro Crater

    June 21, 2023 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We have a trip to the Ngorongoro Crater today. It is the worlds largest Caldera, it’s not actually a National Park but a conservation area so the Massai Mara live in the conversation area as well. It’s a pretty overcast day as we leave the Farm. Since we’re going up higher to get to the crater the weather is not improving. We passed the lookout and it was a total white out. No panorama views today. David assures is it won’t be raining in the crater.

    It a very steep decent into the crater on a little narrow road which luckily is one way. The entire road to the bottom is paved, the amount of labour in just that bit of road is incredible.

    The bottom of the crater is a wide open space perfect for grazing animals and of course all the predators that prey on them. We saw a lot of animals today but not really in the large numbers we’re used to. I think we’ve been very spoilt. We did see lions as well but they were a long way away. Plenty of bird life and so many Crowned Cranes. These cranes are so pretty and it must be a favourite breeding place of theirs so many of them had chicks.

    We had a bit of car trouble on the way back and David had to perform some bush mechanic magic to get us home. He couldn’t turn the car off then so he dumped us and was going to get it sorted this afternoon. We’re a long way from a major town so hopefully he’s had some luck.
    Read more