Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 228

    Dubai Fountain, Burj Khalifa

    February 24, 2023 in the United Arab Emirates

    We then moved on to the "Dubai Mall", a shopping mall the size of a small city and of course the biggest in the world. Everything shining in marble, so clean you could eat from the floor with an aquarium in the middle of your shopping experience. In a world in the middle of the desert with no-limits money, shopping is about all that is left!

    In front of the door of the mall is the most bombastic musical fountain in the world with laser show, Dolby surround music and integrating the Burj Khalifa, 828m high (the highest) and built in 7 years (the shortest) from the idea to the inauguration in 2010. One floor built each week, working at night because it was too hot in the day.
    The next morning, we went up the Burj Khalifa tower at 08:30 (the rest of the day was booked out by the other 16,5 million tourists per year!) for the most incredible morning view of the city.
    This was followed by the Big Red bus tour around the city and it was here that I noticed I am about to explode and need time out, we cancelled all other plans and went to the beach for a whole day to reground ourselves. But even here the illusion was perfect, while ferraris raced behind us on the highway, no less than 20 helicopters flew over us to land on the helipad at the nearby Burj al Arab building, the symbol of Dubai and housing private luxury apartments.
    A world as fascinating as it is exhausting!
    Read more