Satellite
  • Day 56

    Day 56 - Schaffhausen to Basel, 71 miles

    June 10, 2016 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    After a mixed nights sleep last night, turned out my hotels bar was a rock bar which you could hear throughtout the hotel until the early hours, I was up early to crack on to Basel in the sunshine.

    Following VeloRoute 15 along the Rhine it was an easy navigational day as the route is well signposted and uses a mix of roads and bike paths. Not the most interesting ride, few nice villages but majority of time was spent away from the river avoiding the heavy industry along the Rhine with not much to see. Good ride though and good few miles done.

    First night of the Euros this evening and headed to a local Swiss bar called 'Flanagans' to watch the opening game. Not surprisingly got chatting to a Irish guy called John O'Shea who was visiting his daughter in Basel. Without doubt one of the most fascinating people I've ever met. An ex sport journalist turned humanitarian who'd raised nearly a billion euros for the third world though his charity and shortlisted in Irelands top 40 greatest ever person list. A great guy with great stories but also very interested in my trip we agreed to meet for the Ireland rugby match tomorrow.

    After a long day on the bike and a big day in the pub planned tomorrow to watch the football and rugby it was time to get some rest.
    Read more