Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Sights, sounds, situations

    October 14, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    So, the sights have started to change for real! Today was a beautiful walk as we approached the mountains under skies that cleared over the course of the morning. No roadside walking today - so nice. And the climb was mostly gentle and in the cooler air felt really good.

    Sounds. I’ve been thinking about the sounds of the Camino. Almost every morning as I wake up, somewhere nearby a rooster is crowing. I like that.
    Sleeping in albergues you are surrounded by the sounds of other people. As 10:00 arrives and lights go off it gets quiet, but always there is breathing, snoring, rustling, shuffling. I find it all oddly comfortable and comforting, all that humanity around me. I think this way of sleeping in groups is very old. It reminds me we are primates, social creatures.
    Languages! All the time in cafes and albergues, or along the trail conversations are happening in at least a dozen languages. People find ways to communicate, we laugh a lot, smile, shrug.

    Situations! Every day follows a pattern, so if a situation is challenging one day, you know that, for better or worse you will have many opportunities to try it again ahead of you. It pushes for growth and builds confidence, and resilience.

    Tomorrow morning we climb to the Cruz de ferro, the Iron Cross, where by tradition you leave a stone representing some burden you hope to be relieved of. Something to look forward to. But now, time to curl up amongst my tribe of the day and get some sleep…
    Read more