Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Urique to Los Mochis

    December 5, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    A 7:30am start to the day, with the first thing on the agenda being a 3 hour ascent up the very same dodgey dirt-track that we originally took to get to Urique just two days ago.

    Luckily, our driver Monce claimed he had made this journey 'every day for the last 10 years', so this combined with a slightly less rickerty vehicle gave us the confidence to buckle up (metaphorically, as there were no seat belts) and hit the road out of the valley.

    After a few wobbles (emotionally) and some stunning sunrise views, we made it back to Bahuichivo at 10:40am where the final leg of our Chepe train journey was due to depart from. Hoping to get some breakfast before the train journey at 11:30, we ordered eggs and tortillas at the local restaurant, just before being told by a local taxi driver that "the train arrives at about 11:00 and pretty much leaves whenever it wants"...

    ...we got our breakfast to go.

    Luckily we caught the train (the next one wasn't until Saturday) and could finally relax in our recliners as we watched the cactus-lined canyons roll by.

    Next stop; Los Mochis and the overnight Baja Ferries journey to Baja California.
    Read more