Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Atherton Tableland - continued

    June 3, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Every day our level of surprise over the diversity and beauty is extended.

    The ride today went deep into the World Heritage Rainforest, and included a picnic lunch mid ride with our feet in a swiftly running Kauri Creek.

    The afternoon found us at Gillies Lookout and OMG. Stunning. The video shows the Mulgrave River valley. The village is Goldsborough, with Walsh’s Pyramid immediately behind it. The far side of the valley is erosion resistant granite and basalt. The cloud shrouded hills include the twin peaks of Bartle Frere (highest peak in Qld @ 1622m and the second highest Bellenden Ker @ 1292m. With Goldsborough sitting at 25m above sea level, it puts some perspective into the scale of this vista.

    Check out the size of Cathedral Fig. It grew over another giant forest tree which has long ago died and evacuated, leaving a hollow interior.

    Critter sightings- cute little Rat Kangaroos (two) Rose-crowned Fruit Dove (several). Pictures are not ours, as the blighters scamper before we can get our cameras out.

    Check out our ride up Kauri Creek Road on Strava.
    https://strava.app.link/nYdZaTXYMgb
    Read more