Satellite
  • Day 66

    Camooweal

    June 22, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Overnight free camp.
    I am getting out the Binoculars. We are on the banks of Lake Canellan which is the most southerly of the two billabongs just south of town. Plenty of bird varieties on show.
    Towns population is 36, so I should not be surprised that the Pub’s (very large and professional looking) kitchen was not open for lunch. There might be 200 overnighters in the area. The Billabongs have vans camped up every 50-100 meters on their western sides yet it still feels very private.
    It’s now just before 7am and the sun is starting a gentle blaze. The is so much bird activity on the billabong, but it feels subdued like they are waiting for day break before disturbing the peace.
    (Later) Hark! The parrots are awake, so much for the muffled activity. The ducks are playing a fly/run game across the water. (My book tells me they are Eurasian Coots). They gallop the surface for about 60 meters with coordinated wings & feet before touching down again. Hilarious.
    Our stay here was bracketed by a fabulous sunset and a better sunrise.
    Off to Mount Isa today for a big grocery shop.
    Read more