Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Riversleigh - via Miyumba Bush Camp

    June 21, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    As far as World Heritage sites go, to the west of us there is only Kakadu, Uluru, and Shark Bay. Here, we are at Riversleigh (Australian Fossil Mammal Site).
    The laying down of vast quantities of limestone all those Millenia ago, trapped evidence of teaming wildlife in a rainforest region when the Australian continent was still part of Gondwana. It seems like every rock here has some record of a creatures life and passing.
    The peak also offer a incredible views of the plains which are definitely no longer rainforest. We were there at sunset and the panorama was fantastic.

    The Gregory river has been a bit of a constant for us for a while now. We crossed it just after Burketown, again at Gregory and after we tracked westward and then east again, another encounter with the Gregory further south at Riversleigh. The roads between involved about 90k on dusty but mostly good dirt road out to Boodjamulla, and then a little over 100k on equally dusty, but no so well groomed and rocky dirt until Riversleigh.
    Thank goodness for the remote tyre pressure monitors that Mo gave me. We picked up a puncture mid-way to Riversleigh and the sensor gave us early warning, preventing major damage to the tyre/wheel.
    Our campsite provided a beautiful sunrise. It’s a basic camp near beautiful river crossings of the Gregory and O’Shannassy Rivers, and nearby the Riversleigh Fossil site.
    Read more