Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 83

    Lorella Springs

    July 9, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    It has Hot Springs. There are long slow moving rivers. Short rapids. There is a 15klm mini mountain ranges of bizarre shape and colour. I believe there are beaches (we might go there tomorrow - more on that later). There is mighty impressive levels of infrastructure considering how remote it is. There is Bull Dust on some tracks that can bring you to a stop. Lagoons. Birds. Wildlife. Cattle. There are a lot of gates that must be closed and river crossings - I am not sure which is the most common. You can find boats and canoes on the various waterways for complimentary use. There are creatures that can kill you like Crocs / sharks / big pigs / snakes. There are 800 people camped here tonight. (Busiest week of the year - school holidays during the Dry season) I actually can’t see many of them. All this is squeezed into 1 million acres. Care to guess how long the fences are? We think it is wonderful.
    The owners describe it as a wildlife sanctuary. Perhaps. I reckon it is a 4Wheel Drive theme park on steroids as there are 30klm sections of “road” where you are in 4x4 Low range and 1st or 2nd gear. However you should be warned. If you need rescuing there is a $500 call out fee. You will be charged $2.50 per kilometre that any/each recovery vehicle has to travel. From the base camp it is 58k to the camp at the beach. There is a $2000 fine for being trapped in “no go zones” like the salt flats.
    Read more