Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 94

    Why Nhulunbuy?

    July 20, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    If we asked you to look at a map of Australia and pick some really remote places, Nhulunbuy on the Gove Peninsula might be one because there are not many places where the closest town is 740k on gravel. Plus it has a really cool name right? Additionally, we are visiting a local so adventure is sure to follow.

    We decided to allow plenty of travel time from Katherine because of the reports of horrific road conditions. Turns out it’s a cake walk, especially without the van. It’s gravel and corrugated, but in short stretches 100kph is comfortable. Other times - take it easy. Very easy!

    Late on day 2 we were flagged down by a crew of all Aboriginal guys managing a roadside burn off. They asked if we had a gun. (WTF?) They had found a Water Buffalo near the road that had probably been hit by a vehicle because it had a broken leg and appeared to be in some distress. Sadly we couldn’t help but the lads were going off to get it sorted.

    Later we rejected 3 consecutive free camps because they were too close to the road and had too much rubbish scattered about. Fourth time was the charm because we found a spotlessly clean, large area, away from the road which we have to ourselves. Lovely but no picture. It is a gravel pit after all. We parked with the cleared area behind the car so we face the bush and the car oriented north-south with the awning up to shield us from the big, bright moon
    Dinner of Gyoza and Prawn Salad with dancing in the moonlight. Now waiting for the fire to burn down.
    Read more