Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 117

    Cahills Crossing

    August 12, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    We were so enamoured last night with Ubirr and surrounds that we thought we would come out here again today to do some walks.
    We found a loop on the map and another treat was unveiled. Following East Alligator river, we slogged along on sandy tracks for a few k’s while spotting a handful of big Salty Crocs before we turned away and meandered through some unexpected sandstone outcrops (outliers from the main escarpment) and followed the mostly empty Catfish Creek. Here the walking became really interesting. Ahead we spot wide stretches of Water Chestnuts where Badbong Wodjmeng Billabong still holds plenty of water. With water comes birdlife, so this is a good spot for smoko.
    With creaky joints we restart the return trip via Cahills Crossing where we arrive on the change of tide. This is significant as a spectacle of moving water and the feeding habits of Crocs.
    At 13:00 the tide will run in. The Crocs know this and about 10 crocs line up in pecking order by size at the causeway waiting for the fish to slide across the causeway. Amazing. Scary.
    Moments before the allocated time cars were still crossing into Arhnem Land from Kakadu but the changing tidal direction brings a cascade and nobody will enter the water with all those snapping handbags waiting for an error.
    For a change of pace we head to the Injalak Arts Centre. Some nice pieces here but the ice creams were the hot sale items
    Marrawudi Art Centre back in Jabiru has much better quality work and amazing to realise, the first quality coffee since Booraloola. My god. That’s 2,400k ago on 7 July.
    Read more