Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 128

    Around Darwin

    August 23, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Parking. Let’s talk about the parking.
    So we are going to a Darwin Festival gig at the Darwin Entertainment Centre. Google says we will arrive in 200 meters - and there believe it or not - is a parking spot - immediately across the road. 30 meters to the foot of the venue. No problem parking everywhere or at any time. Even less hassle where we go there on out bikes. The destination is rarely a hassle on a bicycle, but there are not many towns around that are so well provisioned for bicycles. Seemingly there is a bicycle path going somewhere where you need it and beautifully surfaced as well. Where it hasn’t been possible to build dedicated facilities, the city of not too precious to allow bikes in the footpaths and make them safe.
    Better mention the Orange Peril. They are actually called Neuron. Electric scooters with 20 somethings dashing here and there. One-up or two-up they are just too much fun and you can pick them up all over the city. The e-bikes seem less popular, but they are rattling all around the town as well.

    Surprising to see how much of Darwin is still a working city. The harbour precinct in particular. Other capitals have “cleaned up” those areas long ago.
    Read more