Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 138

    Top Springs > Timber Creek

    September 2, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Wringing the changes.

    Immediately out of Top Springs we trade the single lane bitumen for gravel.

    Loose grouping of Raptors as the dominant birds are replaced by big flocks of agile Woodswallow.

    The soil is intermittently showing limestone colouring after being predominantly red (I wonder what colour the van will be at days end.

    In the first 65k we have seen ~8 abandoned, burned and mostly overturned cars. Funny that they are all sedans while the few vehicles moving on the surface are all 4x4.

    It’s become a bit more hilly. Undulating terrain replace with small flat topped ranges that produce runoff contributing to small rivers and washouts on the road that can catch you by surprise.

    The route is leaving big pastoral leases behind and heading toward Aboriginal Land Title and the Judbarra/Gregory National Park.

    There is also the normal oscillations between Savannah Woodland into forests around permanent water like Victoria River which lends its name to the famous Victoria River Downs as one of the biggest cattle farms in Australia. VRD was once owned by Vesty and is not far from Wave Hill of sit-down strike fame.
    Read more