Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 136

    Flora River Nature Park

    August 31, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Lordy it’s hot here in the middle of the day. The locals say we are having an early “buildup” this year. However 22° overnight is just about ideal, and mornings are great for getting physical. And the ice cold beer at the end of the day, well we all know what that can do to your spirits.

    Abundant nature, so the park has earned its name.

    A Nail Tailed Wallaby came into the camp last night and showed me her Joey as we prepared dinner for our respective broods. Meanwhile, Regina reported seeing dozens while she was out for a run.

    Plenty of bird life including some nesting White-Bellied Sea Eagle.

    Stretching from just near us and northward on the river, is a colony of Little Red Flying Fox. Cute as, but they stink when you get close to the colony. There is a naturalist staying in the camp. He estimates the colony at 20,000+. Apparently they have ways to measure this.

    On the track to the creek, a very large Olive Python showed me the last almost 2 meters of its body as it disappeared into its burrow. I’ll head back there later to try for a photo.

    March flies.

    Lots of crocs. No swimming in the distinctively limestone coloured waters coming over Djarrung and Kathleen Falls. These are located within 0.5k of our camp and are made of accumulated tufa.
    Read more