Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 168

    Broome Bird Observatory

    October 2, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Delightful place.
    Eco focused and feels like we are visiting somewhere familiar. A favourite Aunty perhaps.
    They are serious about their birds and why not - the birds who come here are pretty damn serious about it. Roebuck Bay is an Internationally significant site for Shore Birds. Some species have travelled from Siberia and Mongolia. One travels non-stop for 11,000k to hang out in the Bay.
    We did a 5k out-and-back walk on the beach and saw thousands of birds. Perhaps 8-10 species constitute 80% of the numbers, with massive variety making up the rest. (Just my observation/estimation). So odd to see the statuesque Jabiru sharing the shallows and mud flats with diminutive and populous Plovers, Godwit & Stints.
    The sky is busy with Terns, Gulls, Eagles et.al.
    The scrub birds aren’t being left out either. In the camp ground there is a big fly-screen sided “Shadehouse” (excellently provisioned kitchen and sweet place to hang out) with a natural bush outlook that has several birdbaths. Across the day, many bird types visit and display themselves as determined by their feeding times and habits.
    It’s also a favourite place for Nail Tailed Wallaby.
    Read more