Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 228

    Tweeters around and about.

    December 1, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 42 °C

    A couple of up close and personal encounters.
    Out at the Coongan Well one of the water tanks is a steel open-top affair. Looking inside to check the water level (very low) and surprisingly we have two dead Budgerigar and a Micro Bat. Nothing to be done for them, but there was also a Whistling Kite (juvenile?) swimming laps. Not exactly swimming - because they don’t. We were able to lift him out using a trough cleaning brush, but he appeared hypothermic and could barely move. We tried to dry him off which is not to hard in near 40°. With the nearest Wires/vet being just under 200k’s away, the little fella was going to be on his own. We made a bit of a nest in a tree fork which has an active Kite nest above to keep her away from ground predators (and ants) and wished him luck. We had seen a single bird in the nest on the previous 3 days, so hopefully, mum would be on the lookout and lend a hand.
    The photo of Regina on our rounds the next morning shows the outcome. With two birds in the nest one of them quite clumsy, and we reckon our rescue. You beauty.
    Next day and there is a Pacific Heron wading the shallows trying to feast on the small school resident fish.
    One of my favourite little birds visit the homestead in enormous numbers. Their incredibly beautiful markings are disguised by their diminutive size. I love their chorus of voices and constant movement. All of which makes them terrible subjects for an iPhone portrait.

    The Wedge Tailed Eagles also don’t fancy posing for a pic. We have seen flocks of up to six, three and 4 very common.

    Postscript: 4 days after the rescue same bird - same tank. Slow learners that one. Our response and rescue are getting slick.
    Read more