Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 354

    Kings Canyon - Watarrka NP.

    April 6, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Why is it that we seemed to have found this place by accident? It is brilliant.
    The camping area looks straight out at the George Gill Range and has a very pleasant viewing deck for sunset viewing and a few cold beverages.
    The walks are sensational, especially the Rim Walk, and the National Park is beautifully presented and serviced.
    We took a little indulgence of a helicopter flight over the range which unexpectedly revealed the mountain ranges that line up almost parallel and roughly east-west in several ranks from Alice Springs down into South Australia. Awesome! In the immediate area - North to South; The Macdonnell RA; Krichhauff RA (Palm Valley -Finke Gorge where we are headed next); James RA; Middle RA; George Gill RA(Kings Canyon etc); the strip of non ranges from which Mount Connor, Uluṟu and Olgas all rise; and then Musgrave RA (know as Mann Ranges at the western end).
    The temperatures were great, the colours are eye-popping, the flies are outrageous, the unexpected delights were cake topping. The Rim walk is firmly in our top few.
    Read more