Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 520

    Side trip - Part 1

    September 19, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Time for a brief trip away from Griffith with Regina’s mum Pat.
    We are still meandering across the map with what looks like an ant drawn trail, so not much has changed.
    Actually, the vehicle has changed: we are parking the Prado and heading off for some low slung sedan 2WD action. The accommodation is very different: the van is staying put where some of the outback dirt can rinse off, and we will frequent B&B’s and a beachside resort.
    First hop: Griffith to Millthorp using quite roads like Mary Gilmour Way (she of prolific poetic and prose output and a gig on our $10 note), Mid Western Hwy and Olympic Hwy, crossing the Weddin Mountain Range and many crossing of the road by flood waters, the land green as green between the canola fields.
    Next: Millthorp to Nelson Bay: it’s quite a long way on slow roads and many interesting places for a stop to delay awhile - Orange, Sofala, Rylston - all rich in history with lovely architecture. The country on the Bylong Valley Way is unexpectedly dramatic. There are not many more beautiful stretches of road. Fantastic. For the moment the Coal Miners have been kept out - a victory of beauty over profit - unlike neighbouring Hunter Valley. This is a borderland between Great Divide and the plains, touching the National Parks of Wollemi, Goulburn River and Capertee, where flora & fauna have special value.
    Nelson Bay: we are hosted here at Cote d’ Azure by Chris and Pam Gilbert, and it’s a comfortable unit, especially temperature wise to have the windows and doors open and let the ocean breeze in.
    Read more