Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    King's Landing (Dubrovnik & Lokram Islan

    August 15, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Today we explored Dubrovnik old town which served as the set location for Kings Landing in Game of Thrones. I think this would have excited me more if I'd seen GoT properly but it was pretty cool with it without dragons. The morning was incredibly hot but we explored the old town and climbed up to a fort to look back over the whole city! It had big Split energy but it was built right on the edge of the cliffs (and wasn't as Roman 😔).

    In the afternoon we got a boat across a short channel to Lokram Island, a forested nature reserve just off the coast. The island promised a Dead Sea and we were hoping that Alfred might finally experience floating but it was not to be. There was a pretty cool cave though (stay tuned for Bailey's underwater camera pics). We had to leave after one of the Peacocks that inhabits the island yoinked Alfred's burek lunch 😠 so we instead set up on some stunning rocks on the edge of the island. It soon became apparent that we were right next to the jumping rocks so we did a couple of big leaps and went for a swim around the cliffs. We then hiked up to the highest point on the island (because Alfred is allergic to staying <100m above sea level for too long) and got the boat back just before the rain hit!

    We said goodbye to Bailey with a pub feed dinner and got our bags ready for our 9am flight to Greece tomorrow !!
    Read more