Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Cruise then Home - Long Day

    December 19, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Today is Monday, the last day of our trip. Yesterday on the cruise there were over 30 people. Today only 11 have booked. Lucky. We arise reasonably early, in time for Tony to experience a cold trickle instead of a shower. Very uncomfortable.
    Delicious hot Ursula-cooked breakfast made up for it. I need not say that her shower had been perfect.
    We check out (they gave us a refund for Tony's inconvenience) then make our way to the Arcadia 2, a historic 70-year-old Huon pine and Tasmanian oak motor launch. Our captain and guide is Tony (remembered by army sign language: toe, knee, leech (pointing to his cheek). Lovely peaceful cruise right to the mouth of the Pieman River. Much less commentary about the animals and trees than our previous Arthur River experience. Tony did explain that the forest is largely eucalypts on the southern side and sassafras, Huon pine and others on the northern side. Marije, our hostess, provided morning tea featuring fruit cake, and other treats. She also told us about the world cup final last night. Nail-biting match. Penalty shootout. She was very pleased. (She comes from Argentina.)
    1.5 hours out, 1.5 hours there, 1.5 hours back.
    We disembark at Pieman Heads, a haphazard collection of shacks. Pleasant walk along the shore to the beach. We soaked up the remote feeling and the surf, wind and sunshine. The cruise provided a packed lunch which we enjoyed, comfortably seated on a trailer.
    We arrived back at Corinna at about 2:30 then were faced with the drive home.
    Narrow dirt road at first. We drive through Savage River (mining) then reach Waratah. Now the road is sealed. We admire the town and particularly the waterfall, then continue to West Coast (a village) where we exit the Murchison Highway and turn toward Sheffield. We stop at a lookout where we can gaze at Cradle Mountain, together with a group of young European tourists. After driving through Sheffield we then reach the highway at Elizabeth Town. Direct trip home. Arrived at about 6:30. Long drive today. Great few days away.
    Read more