Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Delhi to Agra

    March 17, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Pradeep collects us at 8am. Early start as we are going to Agra (202km – 3 hours says our itinerary – actually takes longer). Pradeep says we are to check in to our hotel at 1130. ITC Mughal Hotel. The hotel boasts a small view of the Taj Mahal from an eyrie reached by outside steps. “Check-in is at 3pm” we are informed at the reception desk. Oh no! We have a look around, and just as we are being given a temporary wifi code our room becomes available. 12 noon. Not too bad. Time for lunch and a small rest. Afternoon touring starts at 1:30pm.
    We meet our new Agra guide, Dheerug. Shortish and sharply dressed, he is very enthusiastic. To his history degree he added tourist guide training, specialising in the local monuments. He took a couple of panoramas for us. He handles the phone cameras much better than we can. He showed us pictures of his family of which he is very proud. Main attraction this afternoon is Agra Fort, on the banks of the River Yamuna. For its construction we revisit Tony’s old friend Akbar (remember his very sensible attempts to combine 3 religions?). There was a ruined brick fort on the site, but he completely rebuilt it from red sandstone as a military fort in 1565. He actually ruled in India from 1556 to 1605 and was extremely powerful and successful. These Mughal emperors amaze Tony. Akbar was only about 3 generations after Genghis Khan. Back then, the Mongols were nomadic warriors. Kill, rape, burn, pillage! Then they moved into India, built up a large and prosperous empire, and provided us with the many examples of wonderful architecture we have been seeing throughout this tour.
    We also visited Sikandra, also known as the crypt of Akbar. It was built by Akbar’s son, Jahangir, after his father’s death. It is made of red-coloured sandstone and has beautiful architecture and features lovely gardens.
    Yes, we did manage dinner tonight in our hotel. Really nice, slightly different Indian food.
    Read more