Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Selçuk

    September 12, 2023 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Arrived late at night to this hilltop accom overlooking the village of Selcuk. Lovely pool surrounded by olive and fruit trees and breakfast on the terrace and views of Castle and really old stuff.

    Owner was Jafar from Alladin reborn but meaner. Arrogant and rude but just to me. Eric escaped his alter ego and received ingratiating smiles. But he did drive us up and down a very steep hill each day. Only would take cash tho so dodgy as I think same as Jafar.

    Pammukale and Hieropolis were worth the 7 hour return drive. Our very young 22 year old guide didnt seem to have much information and mainly talked to busdriver apart from sticking Indian 'bindi' on our foreheads while we waited for some tardy Indian couple to arrive. Very odd.

    Limestone pools I think Pammukale was? Very crowded and so hot. Hieropolis was amazing Hellenistic then Roman city. Enjoyed the theatre very much. Just would have liked the guide to impart something about it.

    Selçuk conservative and old but good food. Still weighed down wearing long clothes. No women in sight but hundreds of old men at tables playing backgammon.

    EPHESUS
    Did not disappoint. We felt like all the other archeological historic sites were preparing us for this one!! Most well preserved oldest site. As I politely requested different guide - new guide was excellent 👌

    Could feel the presence of merchants and humanity trodding on marble roads; hear the voices but apparently NOT smell the sewerage as our guide told us Roman ingenuity in taking smell away totally.

    Late visit to Sirince which is Greek village in mountains for wine tasting but was ghastly the reds we tried. Stick to beer.

    Tomorrow we head for Greece 💪
    Read more