Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Royal flush

    September 15, 2023 in Denmark ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Today started off with an iced coffee and a venture around Rosenborg Castle, one of the most well preserved Renaissance castles in the world, it was built in 1606 and was absolutely stunning - definitely lifted our expectations for our future residence. Down below the castle in the basement it contained many treasures and the impressive crown jewels and historical weapons of Denmark which were on display.

    We then headed to The Round Tower (Rundetaarn) which is a 17th century tower that boasted some nice views from the top, and what was more impressive was that it had a equestrian staircase - which is just a slope rather than stairs.

    After looking at the tops of houses, we had a roll and some stolen Nutella for lunch while we battle planned our next move.

    The travel card we purchased to give us free entry to all the attractions also gave us entry to Guinness World Records Museum, which we thought would be a nice palette cleanser from all the old history we'd seen so far.

    After seeing some current history facts, we decided to head to another castle. This time we ventured to Christiansborg Palace, and the first stop here was checking out the ruins under the castle of what remained from the previous 2 castles (both burnt down?) We also checked out the royal stables, the royal kitchen and the Royal Representation Rooms (which are still used by the royal family) where we had to don some fancy shoe coverings.

    After looking at more old things we got peckish and had a national Danish dish - the Smørrebrød, which is just an open faced sandwich on rye bread. Phill has been rating national foods we try so maybe at the end of each country we'll have a section at the bottom with his ⭐ ratings.

    Also included on our city card was an hour ferry tour of Copenhagen, so we jumped on a boat and saw all the sites. Including the famous little mermaid statue. Apparently the writer of the book H.C Anderson is Denmarks most famous citizen, so they love to reference mermaids.

    The sun had started to set by this time and it was getting cold, so we headed back to the hostel to get our jackets before we headed out for our nighttime stroll and snack.

    Tonights snack was expensive disappointing chips and churros with white chocolate, Oreos and ice cream.

    Last day in Denmark tomorrow!

    Step count
    Both: 31k
    Read more