Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    The land of beer and pretzels

    September 16, 2023 in Denmark ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    So the overnight bus was interesting... Was it cheap for transport as well as "accomodation?" Yes. We boarded just before 10pm and immediately popped one of our magical anti-pollen sleeping tablets and dozed off.

    We were awoken at midnight by the bus driver telling us to get off the bus because we had to go upstairs on a ferry so we could cross the Baltic sea. After our fun 45 minute ferry we hoped back on our merry way, trying to fall back asleep to be awoken at 4am by a scary German lady demanding to see our papers.

    After we were deemed acceptable to enter this fair country we 'napped' until 7am when we could disembark.

    We caught the tube to our accommodation, dropped off our bags and headed to a 3.5 hour walking tour. The tour was great, it gave us a brief rundown on the history of Germany and explained Checkpoint Charlie, Bebelplatz, where the Nazis burned banned books in 1933. Spent some time strolling along the Berlin Wall, and then stopped at the Topography of Terror Museum, situated at the former Gestapo and SS Headquarters.

    We also saw the end of a climate prostest where 14 people were arrested for vandalising Brandenburg gate, as well as gluing themselves to the floor. So there was lots of Polizei around and the pillars were nice and colourful.

    After our tour we decided to try a German delicacy - Currywurst. After refueling we headed back to the hostel to finally check in. For a few nights we are staying at a Space capsule hostel. So our pod is like a mini spaceship.

    We relaxed in bed for an hour trying to find the energy to not sleep as we were both tired so we decided to go for a little walk.

    The walk ended up being much longer than expected and ended with drinks and shaved iced by the river.

    Hopefully tonight we sleep well in outer space because after last night we are both exhausted.

    PS. How many pretzels can one eat respectfully? I wouldn't want to overdo it...

    Step count
    New record 🎉
    Both: 35.6k
    Read more