Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Inch by Inch

    November 8, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 7 °C

    This morning we awoke on the "second floor" of our campervan with a better than expected sleep! We rugged up and walked a few hundred metres down the river to a coffee shop.

    After warming our bones with a hot cuppa (and a call to the van company to get our gas working properly) we hit the road in the direction of the town of Kinsale and its nearby military installation -- Charles Fort. We started by exploring the 17th century star shaped fort, then drove into the township itself. Oh boy, these Irish roads are thin at the best of times. But when combined with a busy town it's a bit nerve wracking! We successfully parked and then found ourselves at a small market where we got ourselves a small kebab (to keep our energy up, of course!)

    Next up, we set our sights on Killarney and its beautiful castle. It was raining pretty hard when we got there, but we braved the weather and went to look at the castle on the lake. Fortunately it quickly stopped raining and we were able to view it in all its splendor.

    At this point it was starting to get later in the afternoon but we wanted to try and squeeze in the gap of dunloe, unfortunately when we got there it turned out it was just for walking... And horses and carriages (a service which they conveniently offered for 50€.) We didn't have the time or money for either of those options, so we instead continued onwards to our campgrounds for the night.

    We picked a small caravan park near Inch Beach, it has spectacular views of the Ocean and only has one other van here, we almost get it all to ourselves, yay for the off season!

    For the evening we went into the nearby town of Dingle for our first pint of Guinness and some excellent fish and chips! And finished the night by doing some more washing while we had a washing machine available to us... Yay for chores...

    Step count 16.5k
    Read more