Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    All according to plan

    November 10, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Bacon, scrambled eggs and white pudding with a buttered baguette looking onto a castle ruin was not a bad way to start the day.

    Other than making hot drinks it was the first time we have cooked something, it all went well and the smoke alarm only went off once while cooking the bacon. We somewhat cleaned the dishes then put them in a bag to deal with when we have access to water.

    We began the drive for the day and half an hour into the trip we made an unexpected detour to a museum we saw on the side of the road: The Foynes Flying Boat & Maritime Museum, this caught Phills eye as they had a B314 flying boat on display (turns out the building was the original hanger). It was quite a good experience, it captured the story of how Foynes became one of the great aviation hubs of the world between 1937-1945 (including a flight simulator). Foynes is also home of the original Irish Coffee.

    We continued driving and got distracted with another detour! This time in the form of castles. This was in Askeaton, we parked the van and walked to the castle ruins which was block off due to OH&S and safety renovations (booo). On our way to Askeaton Friary on the other side of town, a man was walking out of his house and said 'good afternoon' Phill responded with the "g'day mate" - long story short he ended up being the local tour guide and we went to the Friary with him for a hour long private tour.

    As our plans for the day had all but gone out the window as it was 5pm by the time we left the Friary we decided to just head to Doolin in preparation for tomorrow.

    We decided that we were probably just going to park on a random road tonight, but as we headed into town we saw a caravan park, we had low hopes considering it was 18:30, but as we pulled in a guy ran out to greet us, next thing we know we washed our dirty dishes from this morning, showered and headed out on the town in search of a pint.

    The first stop was a quaint bar at the end of town which we were taken to by a cat who walked in front of us leading the way for almost 10 minutes. We then headed into McGann's Pub where we enjoyed another pint and an Irish stew with live traditional Irish music playing.

    After soaking up the immaculate vibes, and stew we finally headed back to the camper where we walked around in circles to hit 10k steps before retiring for the night.

    Steps: 11.3k
    Read more