Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 69

    It's beginning to look a lot like ....

    November 11, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    We awoke this morning at our campgrounds in Doolin and enjoyed a hot drink and the view of the river that we slept next to the night before.

    We figured out why our van wasn't holding drinking water and finally filled it up, then we went off to the local pier.

    It was another amazing sight, we could see the closest of the three Aran Islands, as well as our main destination for the day: The Cliffs of Moher. Though there was one other concerning thing we could see... Someone surfing near the pier! It was about 6°C and the wind was blowing a gale... No thank you.

    After getting back into the car and defrosting, we drove the relatively short distance to the cliffs. We drove past the standard tourist location (where they had to pay 8€ each to park) and went to a less popular spot where we only had to pay 5€ each! We talked to the gentleman who was managing the site and he told us of the best path to take and he did not let us down!

    The cliffs were huge and you could walk all the way up to the edge and look over... If you dared...

    We hiked for about an hour and a half to get to an old stone tower looming on the edge of the cliff. The views were stunning the whole way there. We got lucky and picked the best possible day to be there! There was no fog and (incredibly) no rain! However, it was fiercely windy so it was fortunate that we were rugged up otherwise we would have turned back very quickly.

    The journey back to the van was a little quicker since we were ready to be out of the cold. The hike was about 2.5 hours in total.

    Finally, we set our sights on our destination for the evening: the city of Galway.

    When we arrived there we did a bit of shopping to pick up the essentials (i.e. milk and chocolate) and stopped for an unplanned dinner where we finally got to try out the Irish fast food chain "Supermac's".

    We then drove through the city center and found our "accommodation" for the night, which is a quiet parking lot near a rugby field. Once we were set up, we went to check out the town.

    We struck gold because the town had a large Christmas market on so we walked around and enjoyed all it had to offer! Finally, before we retired for the night we stopped at a pub for a cheeky pint (and to use there restrooms).

    Step count: 25.2k
    Read more