Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    A taste of Dublin

    November 18, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ 🌬 11 °C

    Well our night's sleep was pretty horrible, with the club music stopping at ~2am and highlights such as someone knocking and bashing on doors in our hallways at some godforsaken time, as well as the fire alarm going off for a few moments... Great stuff.

    Today we got to start the day by taking a cruise in the amphibious WWII DUKW vehicle. The tour drove us around the city centre, where the guide told us many different facts about the city and its people. We then donned some life jackets and the engineering marvel drove headfirst into the canal. Fortunately we floated, no leaks or anything! After a while of jetting up and down the canal, we rolled back onto land and went to our drop off point.

    Up next was a coffee stop, then a trip to the nearby "Little Museum of Dublin" which was a fantastic museum in a Georgian townhouse. The tour guide was very entertaining and gave us a rundown of Ireland over the last ~200,000 years (hint: for ~199,000) years not much happened.

    While we were in the neighbourhood, we then decided to visit the famous Trinity college, which was indeed very impressive! Inside the college they also have the famous Book of Kells, a 9th century manuscript, containing the four Gospels of the New Testament. It was pretty cool for more Jesus stuff. At the collage there was also "The Long Room" which is an extra famous library, considered one of the most beautiful in the world. We can definitely agree with that now!

    With the collage behind us, we were getting quite hungry so we went and got some lunch/early dinner before the next saga to our day, the Irish Whiskey Museum! It was another guided tour, this time (unsurprisingly) focusing on the glorious creation and journey of the "water of life" as part of Ireland's history. The host was a very excitable Irish fella with a lot to say. The tour was great and finished with 3 different whiskeys. Depending on which one of us you ask, you may hear different opinions!

    And if that wasn't enough for today, we then went to the bar of a fancy hotel which served some great cocktails. This is because one of Bec's bosses very, very kindly gave us a voucher to go there!

    After getting sauced up in this upper class establishment, we then started heading in the general direction of our accommodation, but we got caught in a horrible trap and found ourselves in a wine bar... So once we had a glass of wine (and accompanying cheeses, of course!) We managed to find the door out and made our way back to our beds.

    Fingers crossed for a good sleep tonight.

    Step count: 16.7k
    Read more