Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 109

    Bath time

    December 21, 2023 in England ⋅ 🌬 10 °C

    After getting up and having a lovely included breakfast that was better than it had any right to be from an inexpensive hotel, we hit the road in Bartholomew II for the last time in the direction of Bath. Only stopping briefly for fuel and to give the car a quick clean.

    We handed the car over and walked along the riverside into the town centre. The town is chock full of beautiful Georgian architecture with a characteristic yellow stone. It looks fantastic, one of the most pleasing cities to date.

    After a long walk with our familiar heavy bags weighing us down once more, we arrived at our hotel, hoping to drop the bags off. We got lucky again and were able to check in a few hours before the official time!

    Once in we booked some tickets to the Roman bathhouses which we assume provide the city with its name. After a brief rest we headed over and were immediately taken aback by how impressive these restored ruins were!

    The baths are smack bang in the middle of the city across the road from their huge Abbey. And you could walk past the museum site without even knowing they were there (like we did!)

    While you can't swim in the baths anymore, some of the pools are still filled with hot water, with satisfying bubbles coming up to the surface.

    The museum was surprisingly packed, but we were still able to have a thorough look at all of their exhibits, most importantly being the pools of course, but also large parts of the temple that they had adjacent to the pools, and even a fancy bronze head of their goddess Minerva!

    Once we eventually finished with the museum (and Phill convinced himself not to buy a mini Roman soldier's helmet) we left and got some afternoon tea which included one of the best cookies that we've ever had! Nice!

    Afterwards we walked around the town a little more, exploring the general area before it got dark. We made it to a few other nice places like The Circus (not the clown kind) as well as the Royal Crescent, areas which look amazing and contain a lot of impressive Georgian style homes... Where the kind of people live that probably fell into the favourable side of generational wealth...

    Eventually we made it back home and used our fun little app to find food that was close to being thrown out. We found another Gregg's and excitedly booked it. While it was still a good haul, it wasn't quite as impressive as the previous ones we've had... But it's okay, Gregg. We still love ya.

    Step count: 13.3k
    Read more