Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Rock Tetris

    December 22, 2023 in England ⋅ 🌬 9 °C

    This morning we rolled out of bed at an ungodly time and boarded a bus to head to Stonehenge for the winter equinox. This was one of the earliest events that we booked for our holiday so it's a bit weird that we've reached that point...

    We imagined that this would be a relatively small event, so we were surprised when the bus was at a standstill from traffic kilometres before the visitor centre!

    We sat there inching forward while the guide was telling us facts about the area. After a while, it became evident that there was no way that the bus was getting to the centre in time to walk to Stonehenge itself before dawn.

    So we and a few other people got off and speed walked down the roadside and it's lucky we did as we reached the monument with about 1 minute to spare!

    There were hundreds and hundreds of people there, all who came to see the sun rise for the shortest day of the year. The centre of Stonehenge was chock full of people, as this is one of the few times per year that they let people onto the monument itself.

    As soon as we got there, the local druids started their celebrations which were quite fun to watch. The two of us just walked around taking in everything that was happening (which was a lot!)

    It's worth mentioning we got ridiculously lucky with the weather, it was warm, still, and not a drop of rain in the sky!

    After a while we met up with the tour group and listened to some fun facts, before heading back to the bus.

    We took a different track back to the bus which walked us past the Stonehenge Cursus, which is another even older monument which is composed of straight mile-long ditches which were initially thought to be related to Roman circuses until they realised it was much too old. Now all they know is that it was for more ceremonial things.

    Eventually we were back at the bus and on our way back to Salisbury where the bus stopped for an hour for breakfast. We grabbed some delicious food from a bakery and walked around a while before getting on the bus again and heading back to Bath.

    Once we got back we returned to our room and rested for a while before going out and grabbing dinner using our favourite cheap meal app (not from Gregg's this time!)

    Cya in Scotland!

    Step count: 15.1k
    Read more