Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 127

    There's no place like home

    January 8 in Singapore ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    While it technically is over a day since we got up to leave (30 hours at time of writing.) We've been on a journey that spanned half the planet! Unfortunately for us, 22 of those hours were us being locked up in a metal tube whizzing over oceans.

    Check in for London went very smoothly, we decided to end the trip in the same way we started: The Emirates Lounge. It was as lovely as last time, and was a nice and calm way to end our trip.

    Eventually we had to get on our plane, so we said goodbye to Europe and hopped on. We had 3 flights in total, more or less divided into equal thirds.

    The first third was to Dubai. It went reasonably quickly. We lucked out because our emergency exit chairs didn't have a 3rd chair, so it was just the two of us. Lovely! There were a few babies around though, less lovely.

    Some hours later we arrived in the UAE and walked around very briefly (and grabbed a bag of lollies) before switching to a different plane.

    We were sat in a very similar spot on the new plane, and were waiting with baited breath for the doors to be shut. This new plane did have a 3rd seat next to us but the minutes ticked by and no one seemed to be coming! Eventually the doors were closed and we were able to take the small win of having another leg of the trip without a stranger! The flight itself also went off without any hassle. This time we landed in Singapore.

    The final stopover was to let some new passengers on. They kicked everyone off the plane to give it a clean, so we stood at the terminal for an hour and a half before eventually getting back on.

    The same thing happened as the previous flight. We were sitting waiting for some new annoying stranger to come and claim their seat... But they never did!! So all three of our flights we had (relative) space company to everyone else. Lucky us!

    Eventually we landed back in Melbourne, quite tired and neither of us had slept. Our thinking is that if we stayed awake then we'd be able to avoid jetlag by getting home and going to bed.

    It took what felt like ages for customs to allow everyone off the plane, but once they did, it was a pretty easy journey out of the airport and back home!

    We arrived home to a lukewarm welcome from the cats. They were alive and happy to see us, so that's good! The unit isn't in the best condition, but nothing major. That's a tomorrow problem!

    Step count: Abysmal

    PS: We'll probably do one more post over the next few days, with a brief summary of things
    Read more