Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Four weeks in!

    September 20, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We have been away for 4 weeks now. Settled back in to the van again nicely.
    Gary was up early to start work. Good to get up early too, helps to sleep the next night. He did a couple of hours then we hit the road to Valencia. I drove and Gary worked along the way. Not bad ‘office with a view’. The landscape changing again as we entered Valencia province, more rolling hills and orange tree groves. Oranges don’t appear to be ripe yet. Bet that looks nice when they are. I drove to a parking spot just on the outskirts of the city as a) didn’t want to drive through the city due to busy traffic or any ULEZ charges in a dirty old diesel van b) wanted to walk. Ironically the route it took me drove me right through the main part of the city anyway. After some crazy dangerous drivers later, we found the spot I was looking for. Nice walk to the L’Oceanografic Oceanarium I had booked. The district is quite arty and Uber modern designed buildings. The oceanarium was pretty good on the most part. We got there for dolphin feeding time which turned out be more of a show. It was a mix of how clever they are and can perform tricks for food and how clever they are and are cooped up in tanks when they should have more freedom. So that did start it a bit on a downer however the rest of the venue was great. Quite big considering it’s in a city. Lots of outdoor areas with crocodiles, flamingoes, some randy tortoises, seals, then the indoor buildings had the longest underwater tunnel and aquariums in Europe housing rays, tiger sharks, beluga, all types of marine life from different regions. It was impressive. I could’ve stayed there all day. Lovely day out in all. Carried on the drive to our next stop by the beach. A little town called Castellón a bit further north. Turns out they host a massive Harley Davidson festival every year with bands and events. Random. They obviously have their own ‘chapter‘ too. There are a lot of children‘s parks here. A lot. Apparently I commented quite a few times!
    The beach was lovely and sandy and hot so hung out for a bit. Our park-up is right by the beach but very busy. We were lucky to get in. It’s free and by the beach hence so. All good though. In the evening walking to the bin, I happened to walk through the hunting antics of bats. There were probably a dozen or so of them swooping around after the bugs flying right past and around me. It was amazing! We stood there for ages watching especially as the sun was setting, it was beautiful. Really made my night! I need bats in the van - get rid of the mosquito problem. Research indicates they may be lesser horseshoe bat?
    Read more