Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    Köln

    October 2, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    We made it through the night without any more sirens going off! Never did find out why. Gary began working but quickly ran out of laptop charge so we had to pack up sharpish and head out to somewhere where he could plug in. Those Monday morning emails won’t write them selves! Found a close by service station to charge/brekkie/coffee/loo so he could crack on and I just hung out.
    Once work was done, driving via Leverkusen (twinned with Bracknell), we headed over to a park and ride outside Cologne (ULEZ so no getting close in a stinky diesel van). Just a swift short train ride into the city centre. The cathedral is just outside the station and is very impressive. It’s huge, imposing and so intricate. Third tallest church in the world taking over 600 years to complete! Inside is just as impressive and detailed as outside. We climbed the 533 steps up the bell tower which was a good workout around a narrow winding staircase. Great views from the top.
    Had a little wander around the city, had a pitstop then got the (delayed) train back to the van.
    After a bit of food shopping later, we arrived at our next stopover in Jülich, our last night in Germany. A nice camping pitch next to a sizeable park/lake/animal enclosures. May have to check these out. Gary swears he heard wolves howling in the distance! So warm last night, not dropping below 21 degrees though I believe there is a storm coming?
    Gary enjoyed his bratwurst dinner then we went for a walk at the perimeter of the park (fenced off, you have to pay). All lit up with colourful lighting. Looks lovely.
    Played cards in the evening referencing Kalooki on a number of occasions ;0) (ask Gary).
    Read more