Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Driving

    April 24 in Ireland ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    Yesterday was all about the driving - 250 miles, around 6 hours! We left Donegal heading southwest, mostly along the scenic wild Atlantic way route, beautiful landscapes from sea, wilderness, mountains, sheep (and lambs) everywhere . I lost count of the times I said, “this is lovely“. First stop was Dun Briste sea stack, a huge rock separated from the mainland over millennia. Photos never do the scenery justice. Gary got the drone out too for a fly around. There’s quite a few large Eire signs on the ground made from rocks around the country, one of which was here (plus at Malin Head) that warned pilots during the war that they were flying over neutral Ireland. Stretched our legs a bit then on for the next leg of driving. To Achill Island, a rugged, but beautiful island off the west coast. Banshees of Inisherin recently filmed here. Lots of lovely free roaming sheep and their babes everywhere, so lovely. Please don’t eat lamb, people!
    We headed to the gorgeous Keem beach, the approach being down the mountain, a little like Spain, towards the parking area. We were so lucky that there was barely a cloud in the sky and being so sheltered it was a lovely, warm day - the bay looked like we were abroad, crystal clear, turquoise water, sandy beach.. until we got in. Was freezing! As expected. We didn’t stay in for long. Was invigorating though. Back to the van to get changed then onwards again to Galway. What with the rush hour traffic by then we didn’t get to our campsite just outside Galway until 7ish. Checked in and headed straight for the bus into town. Which didn’t show so we shared a cab with another lady from said bus stop. Dropped in the city at the Latin Quarter, where the Craic is, apparently. Bit more of a cultural vibe, reminded Gary of Hastings, true. Had a wander but really needed to eat, quite busy in the street so went a little outbound to a Thai restaurant which was beautiful, good amount of spice to our Thai curries. Went to find the oldest pub (not open) so the next on, The Quays, still 400+ years old with a live band playing modern then Irish songs whilst Gary watched the footy on the screen in the old man bar! Lovely fresh Guinness and 0% for Gaz. Wanted to see another bar called the Crane Bar, because why not but the description didn’t really match up. Was more a rough estate pub than the swanky bar that was promised. Quick snap of a gnarly, incoherent man by the pub then retreated back to the pub we’d just come from. After the footy finished we caught a cab back to the site to sort the van for the night of everything that we had dumped and run earlier.
    Halfway through the trip now. Half way around the island and over 1000 miles driven so far. We are on schedule and weather has been cold, windy but more importantly, mostly dry, thankfully though I think rain is expected.
    Read more