Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Easy day

    April 25 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Stayed on the most expensive campsite, taking advantage that they’re the only one and motorhomes aren’t encouraged at all in the city. Charged €44 for the night but we had to pay extra for the showers (that wouldn’t wet a mouse) and washing up, had we needed it! Shameful.
    As we are a little ahead of schedule it allowed us to do a few things such as early morning run whilst observing lots of sea swimmers, much needed clothes washing and a little food shop/brekkie whilst we waited for it including a lovely chat with the Cordells. Popped into Galway city but didn’t feel too inspired. Chatted to an ‘Army fan though who had also gone to the gig in Dublin. It started to rain so we headed on further south towards the Burren region in County Clare. Quite a barren, rugged landscape but just as spectacular as the rest of the country. We stopped at Aillwee Burren showcaves. Good thing to do whilst it rained. We had a guided tour around the cave, discovered by a farmer around 1940 but he kept it a secret until the 70s. A fascinating cave dating back millions of years created by a river, mind blowing. Bear remains were found there from hibernating bears dating back 10,000 years ago. That’s a long nap! Our tour guide was really good and so were the caves. The entry fee also included visiting their birds of prey centre. It was getting close to closing time so we’d missed the displays but as we were walking around, one of the trainers asked if we’d like to view one of their practices. Of course! A young man was learning the ropes and they brought out an African white backed vulture called Dyson. I’m guessing he hoovers everything up as this was also an exercise class for him as apparently he is a little overweight (vulture fat shaming!) We got lots of information about the species and how they are (wrongly) frowned upon, their poor reputation when in fact all the good they do that is misinformed. Such a beautiful bird as it soared very closely over our heads. Amazing experience and great timing from us. We skipped off happy in to their cheese shop, stocked up on cheese and fudge then on to our stopover in Bunratty just north of limerick, right next to a castle for the night. Popped in to the local pub next door for a strategic use of facilities. An old pub dating back to 1620, lovely features inside decked out with tons of police patches from mostly US adorning the ceilings/walls and every surface. Fascinating if not random. A guy playing acoustic Irish songs in the corner was a nice touch too. Back to the van for cheese fest Ernie and Bert style - crumbs in the bed.
    Read more