Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Astoria

    August 5, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Today was planned to be a surf day, but the kids weren't too excited about the idea so instead we took a short trip into Astoria, near to our campground.

    Our first stop was Fort Clatsop, built by Lewis and Clark during their expedition across America to the Pacific. We went into the visitor centre to view the displays and watch an historical film on the Lewis and Clark expedition, walked down to see the fort and then followed a trail to the location where Lewis and Clark landed their canoes after crossing the Columbia river.

    Following this we drove into the City Center to see the shops and grab a bite to eat. After lunch we drove to a spot high above the city where the Astoria Column is located. It was built in the 1920's and has a spiral staircase inside leading to the top of the eight story structure where their is a viewing platform. Beautiful panoramic view of the city, the Columbia River and surrounding area.

    On the drive back to the campground we stopped in at a Costco to pick up some provisions. Now it's time to relax and maybe go a load of laundry.
    Read more