Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    San Diego and Tijuana

    August 26, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We've spent four days in our final and southernmost destination. The first two days we camped on Silver Strand State beach. A very nice place to camp, almost right on the beach with several miles of beach to walk or jog and enjoy the many shore birds. My favourite was the pelican. I loved watching them hovering and circling about five metres over the ocean and then diving straight into the water for fish.

    During the first full day in San Diego we bought all day metro passes and took the bus into downtown. We walked and shopped and then caught a train out to Fashion Valley, a large shopping centre and shopped some more. We then caught the train back but got off in Old Town to walk around. We also decided to return to Fred's for a Mexican dinner. We had been there before on our last trip to San Diego, about five years ago.

    On the second day, we had to pack up the trailer and move it to the KOA as SS only had room for us for two nights. It was only a 20 minute drive. Before doing so though, we started our day as we have on most days, with a 30 minute run on the beach after coffees.

    After setting up camp at the KOA, we hopped in the truck and drove to the Mexico US border. We parked at a large outlet mall for free instead of paying $15 at the official lot. We had no wait or trouble getting across the border and had a great day, walking along Avenida de la Revolution and up to a large farmers market and shopping centre. We caught a cab back to a spot near the border and did a bit more shopping. Then walked back to the US and shopped in the huge outlet mall where we were parked. On the way back to the KOA we picked up groceries and then had a late dinner back at the campsite.

    Today was our last day, and although it was cloudy decided to go to the beach. We went to Ocean Beach first thinking it was where we were last time in SD. It was busy with a surfing competition going on. We asked and found out we wanted to go to Mission Beach, only a short drive away.

    On arrival at the boardwalk we were approached by a family leaving to catch a plane who had two extra boogie boards they didn't want and offered them to us for a very good price. So, we now had four good boards. We all got out on the water and had a good time catching waves. It wasn't too warm though so we didn't stay as long as we might have otherwise. But it was getting time to make dinner and we had lots to look forward to doing back at the KOA.
    Read more