Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Bike Tour of Cologne

    September 9, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We woke this morning to the smell of bacon frying. Klaus was busy making us an egg with fried onions, tomatoes and bacon. After breakfast we put on our biking shorts and headed out to tour the area on bikes Klaus had borrowed for us. The route Klaus had planned took us through a wooded area near his home on the outskirts of Cologne down to the shores of the Rhine River. From there we followed a bike path that hugged the shoreline and took us many kilometres to a point where we were able to take a small ferry across the river and continue cycling along the city side of the river. We took a break for a drink at a restaurant overlooking the river.

    Once in the city we took a bridge back across the Rhine that had a railing absolutely covered with thousands of locks! We now followed along a section of bike path directly across from the city centre where we got a great view of the cityscape including the Cologne Cathedral. Continuing along this side of the river we eventually arrived back at the point where we had originally arrived at the river. We took a short rest break and then rode to an outdoor pub near Klaus’s house where we had beers and dinner. I was rather hungry because all we had had to eat on the 60 km journey was a banana and a few pretzels!
    Read more