Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Cologne to Basel, Switzerland

    September 10, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Today is another travel day. The plan was to break the trip into two legs with the first being a scenic route along the Rhine River from Koblenz to Mainz. Unfortunately, the German rail system seems to be experiencing problems and many trains are being delayed or cancelled. Such was the case this morning. So, we decided to forgo the scenic leg of the trip and go for the direct option: a high speed train direct from Cologne to Basel.

    On arrival in Basel, we lugged our luggage about 2 km from the train station to our fabulous Hotel Spalentor. We were given a free upgrade for reasons unknown and have a spacious, luxurious room for the next two nights. It is a few steps away from one of the three remaining, original city gates that used to protect the city of Basel over 400 years ago (see photos).

    Following a shower and brief rest, we headed out on foot to find a restaurant for dinner. Wow, talk about pricey! We settled on a small cafe with falafels in a pita wrap for Laura and I had a chicken donair. It was delicious. Along with a soda each, it cost us $50! And that was a deal compared to some other restaurants we checked out. Tomorrow we’ll be looking for a grocer.

    We ended the day with a circular tour down to the Rhine, over the bridge, along the river and back via a different bridge and walk along the other side. Lots of beautiful old buildings and narrow, cobble stone streets to explore still tomorrow. Also, we were able to watch countless people bobbing along in the water holding on to their Wicklelfisch bags. These brightly colored swimming bags hold your clothes and valuables dry, and were invented right here in Basel.
    Read more