Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Day trip to Trogir

    September 18, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Today’s adventure was quite a change from yesterday’s. The trip was only 1/2 hr each way instead of four, and it was far more relaxing because it wasn’t nearly as crowded with tourists. Trogir, like Dubrovnik, is a UNESCO World Heritage site with a walled, old town. Buildings date back as far as the 13th century and are still in use, albeit in many cases as restaurants, bars and shops. I really like that these centuries old buildings are not just being set aside as curiosities, but have been repurposed and are still in use today.

    Laura and I used the free map and guide books available at the tourist information centre to create a walking tour for ourselves. I was also able to eavesdrop on a few tours we intersected along the way. Unlike Dubrovnik, we were able to climb a tower and wander along the top of a fortress wall for only a small fee. The views were fantastic! We saw a number of very old structures that are in remarkably good condition considering their age. I know that many have been restored, but it is still a testament to the people of the time that designed and built them. I’m not so sure that the homes and buildings in today’s towns will even last a hundred years, let alone the thousands of years that these have stood.

    Once back in Split and after a short break in our apartment, we headed out for dinner. We’ve been mostly finding takeout and bringing it back to our apartment, but this being our last night in Croatia, we decided to go to a restaurant. We found a nice spot off the beaten path. After contemplating the menu for a few minutes and asking our waiter for some help identified the various food items, Laura ordered Gnocchi and Beef (served Croatian style). I decided to go for Fish with Gnocchi. Soon after ordering though I decided I should look up the fish. It was cuttlefish. I had no idea that it was more mollusk than fish (see photo). I immediately got up from my chair and flew up the stairs to intercept the waiter before the order was placed. I ate Chicken with Mozzarella in a tomato sauce instead.

    Following dinner we could hear live music coming from a plaza nearby. It was quite the spectacle with an orchestra and the “Ten Tenors” playing classic, Croatian songs. Everyone in the crowd seemed to know the words to all of the songs being played. I couldn’t understand a word, but I really enjoyed the music and soon I was bobbing my head and clapping my hands to the beat. From the spirit shown at this event, it seems that the Croatians are a proud people with a strong sense of patriotism. I had to wonder, Do we Canadians have a whole bunch of patriotic songs other than our national anthem and “This Land” that we could join in and sing to?
    Read more