Satellite
  • Day 17

    Progreso & el Corchito

    May 17, 2021 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Not really a great day. I don’t think Progreso is worth visiting. When you are in the situation to compare Maya Riviera to this it’s almost like choosing between going on vacation or living in a dumpster. 😉
    My bus ride in the morning was more than loco, that bus driver... she was crazy! Honking every single second, trying to push cars out of the way, going full speed around a corner.
    I actually wanted to go to Uxmal but didn’t catch the ADO so instead I walked around the city, bought a new shirt and just strolled the streets being stared at for probably being the only foreigner ever seen on the Meridians peoples marketplace - it was definitely not a touristy area. 2 Tacos for 16 Pesos - that is a new achievement!!
    What I realized is that people here are way friendlier than somewhere else. Not only by talking to you, showing the way but also they all stand in those street long queues waiting for their turn to get a seat in a bus without trying to push or anything.
    Eventually I found a colectivo to the beach, sat there for a bit, was weirded out by a homeless guy and took a taxi to “el corchito” an island where you can see open cenotes and many animals. I wasn’t too impressed, also they charged me the foreigner entrance fee... on my way back to Mérida I fell asleep and then went on THE SEARCH for the bus stop. Sugary food so that I only almost cried. Everybody was telling me to take different directions and in the end I just walked around for 1h and 20 minutes, finally found it only to wait 30 more for the slowest bus ever to arrive. Nice dive in the pool. Watermelon for dinner. Nice English Spanish evening talk with our hosts. ¡Hasta mañana! :)
    Read more