Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Agrigento and Nuovo Gibellina

    July 2, 2023 in Italy ⋅ 🌬 27 °C

    Our ferry from Sardinia docked at 05.15 which meant they woke us up at 04.30 it took an hour to disembark by which time we could drive in daylight.
    I put Agrigento in Google maps and said we should stop about half way and look to breakfast. So for no other reason we went to a café which was open early on a Sunday in Nuovo Gibellina. The cafe manager said the town is famous for its sculptures and gave us a map of where to find over 50 works of art and it is Italy's biggest open air museum. We left the car and went for a walk. It was really nice. The story of the town is that in 1968 there was a huge earthquake which flattened the whole town so it was rebuilt 11km away using quake proof designs and started adding sculptures. I'll add photos of a few. It was an unexpected treat.
    After that we headed closer to Agrigento stopping at a beach side bar for a cool drink and a look at the map to decide where to stop for the evening.
    Thanks to follower Albert for suggesting we stay at San Leone which is lovely.
    Eventually we reach the valley of the temples in Agrigento after Google annoyingly sent us in and out of the main town. The photos speak for themselves. It was built by the Greeks around 5th century BC.
    Read more