Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Traveling without booking

    July 3, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Breakfast at San Leone was lovely as was the accommodate. It was tranquil and relaxed while we chatted with the owner until there was a loud bang as a lemon dropped from the tree above our head and bounced off the full table without hitting anything. We were given the lemon as a souvenir.

    About a two hour drive in very mixed roads brought us half way to where we get the ferry to Malta on Wednesday evening. In several places we saw fields just off the road on fire. I also spotted an MG garage which sold everything except MGs. We stopped a couple of times to cool in a café on the road.

    The good thing about traveling without booking in advance is that it gives you the flexibility to choose when to stop, we usually decide at lunch time, book and head for wherever it is.
    The down side is when you want to book a ferry. The ferry from Sardinia to Sicily had no cabins left but we did find a great place to sleep. The ferry from southern Sicily to Malta was fully booked for Tuesday evening our preferred time and when I looked on the operators web site last night while we ate our evening meal it said fully booked until Friday so I swapped to Direct Ferries app and tried exactly the same dates. It gave us similar prices and an option to travel on Wednesday evening so I've booked what is by far the most expensive ferry so far for the three hour crossing.
    Until then we will just have to rough it here in Riserva Naturale Orientata Bosco di Santo Pietro.
    See photos.
    Read more