Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Senj Croatia

    September 23, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    Today was very much influenced by the weather as we tried to outrun the Bora. A Bora is a katabatic wind which is cool air from the mountains meets warm air causing the wind to plummet down from the mountain at very high speed to the Adriatic sea. There are only a few places in the world where this phenomenon happens. It causes roads and bridges to be closed and often results in damage to house. It is known to be strongest and coldest wind in Europe. One is forecast for tonight.

    We could see bad weather approaching from behind us as we left Sukosan. We got as far as Senj traveling along the coastal road which is one of the most renowned motorcyclists roads in the world. We had two hours of continuous bends on a perfect road surface. We wanted to get further than Sinj but the weather caught up and a thunder storm stopped us in our tracks so we quickly booked a place to stay that has covered parking for Blubelle. We are not out of the Bora's influence so we hope it will not be a severe one.

    The historic coastal town of Senj was settled in the second century BC by the Romans. In 1184 it was given to the Knights Templar by the then king of Hungary. It has a nice fortress still standing that was built in 1548. We enjoyed a walk around as it was not overrun by tourists.
    Read more