Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Phong Nha

    May 2, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    After being dropped off by the Easy Riders, we hung out in Phong Nha, advertised as the adventure capital of Asia! A sleepy town on the river, beautiful scenery, all in all we had a very relaxing time. Well, maybe a few hours of relaxing among all the exciting adventures we had to have! The kids are becoming increasingly more difficult to wear out!

    Caves are a big deal here, one of them is one of the largest caves in the world. We managed to visited two of them and they were mind blowing, it was like being on another planet.
    It did heat up a little too much in Phong Nha, pushing 40 degrees for a few days, which proved to be a little sweaty and very sticky. However, the kids are getting more used to the heat now, so following our Easy Riders experience, we hired a couple of scooters and went out to explore. After sitting on the back of a motorcycle for three long days, we are now dab hands at mastering the Vietnamese roads and of course handling a scooter! I did come a little unstuck when Otto grabbed the key out the bike and dropped it on the floor, while in motion on a very busy road! Found it though, but wasn’t that helpful. Also not helpful at all was when I nearly got shunted off the side of the road down a a large drop and into the river, Mitch’s hand slipped when parking his bike and he smashed right into the back of me! Don’t worry the kids had already disembarked!

    So if ever you are visiting Phong Nha, I can recommend the duck stop (check out the pics, don’t worry though we didn’t have to eat one!!), walking or boating a few kilometres in the beautiful cave systems and lots of cooling down in the river. Do not hire a scooter if Mitch is also on one!

    We flew out to Hanoi and left the tranquility of Phong Nah behind to be treasured forever.
    Read more