Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Hanoi

    May 6, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 40 °C

    We hopped on a plane up to Hanoi, but the first day we couldn’t be bothered to take the kids out in 40 degrees, so opted for the mall instead. Bit of shoe shopping and a random aquarium! Thankfully the little mini heatwave had passed by the next day so we got to explore the old town and around the lake, always lots of mopeds and still very hot.

    Mitch and I have been before, 15 years ago, it has changed but probably for the better. As expected though great food, great coffee, cheap beer. We do so love Hanoi. Otto however didn’t really seem to get on too well here, we did understand, but couldn’t really fathom his kamikaze nature. When he nearly dragged me across the street in front of an oncoming car, we began to question whether we may need to take him home, UK home not hotel home!!! Sadly it didn’t improve, but as luck would have it we stayed in two very big, amazing apartments, so we got to hang out there a lot and explored only a little at a time, trying not to over-overwhelm the little baba.
    We did, however, get to visit the temple of literature, the Hanoi Hilton, a.k.a. a prison (surprising favourite of Ottos), take a food tour, ate some amazing bun cha! Drank a few beers on Beer street, sweets on sweets street and admired ladder street! In our apartment we had a disco on our 7th floor glass corridor and drank a lot of beer to help ourselves forget that Otto had become a complete nightmare. Freda on the other hand has been amazing, and Hanoi was a pleasure xx
    Read more