Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Antigua

    June 2, 2018 in Guatemala ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Travel day! Ish. A bit of a lazy one today. Got up about 8:30, listen to the cricket, went and had a really good breakfast, listen to some more cricket!
    I left Copan just after 12pm, got in the back of a van and was told there would be only 3 of us, including the driver, going to Antigua. The other person was a nice Mexican woman and her two Chiauas (in a cat box). Boarder crossing took five minutes, happy days! I’m sure it would have taken a lot longer on a full bus!
    The sun is out and the driver is giving it some beans, so hopefully we’ll be kind of on time, for Latin America. It’s all mountain roads, so some great views. Many dogs, the odd horse and road works seem to be all else that’s going on. Only another 5 hours to go...
    There soil erosion everywhere, so I can see why there are so many roadworks. The roads in some places are covered with mud and rocks, this being the start of the rainy season, I’m sure it will get worse! I’m writing this in the back of the van, if you hadn’t guessed, something to do with the time.
    Five and a half hours and still going. More road works and lots of land slides later, we are through a mountain pass and back on a dual carriage way, hooray! 91km to go, let’s see how long this takes...5 minutes later we get pulled over by the police, but all is good. Onwards!
    Arrived, late, raining, cold. Just like a British summers night! Saw Ozzie Abbey for a beer before she heads to Utila.
    Hostel has triple high capsule beds, I’m in the middle, but didn’t really suss anything out in the light, so if I need to get up in he night, it’s gonna be a game! Good night
    Read more