Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 140

    Medellín

    September 11, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Well, what an I say about this place?!
    The most surprising place I’ve been too. Lots of really modern infrastructure of a metro train and cable cars everywhere, mixed with a very, very dark past and poor areas, and a such a friendly native population.
    I did so much here, highlights being a good couple of nights out and some really good walking tours.
    The history and what the city is know for, does not reflect on what you find. It’s too much to put in a post like this, but go check the history!
    They do not have much respect for the person synonymous with the city, a tour guide would only refer to him and the ‘Infamous local celebrity’ because she’d get in trouble for speaking his name to tourists, more because they wouldn’t understand the context.
    We also did a tour of Communa 13, google it, which is home to a lot of politically angled graffiti.
    They have an awesome swimming complex here, the best I’ve seen, I counted 10 pools including two 50m, three 25m, a diving pool and a dedicated synchronised swimming pool. In the same complex is the football stadium, which we went and saw Independiente Medellín play. A great experience, but a bit bonkers, the fans in the home end don’t really seem to watch it react to the game, they just jump up and down to a samba band the who game.
    Defiantly my most favourite big city so far!
    Read more