Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Internal medicine day 2

    March 21, 2018 on the Philippines ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    Up at 6.30 again, feeling much more tired today though!
    Got a jeepney which went down lots of little back roads so spent a long while thinking I was lost.
    Went to the internal medicine office for handover and a case presentation about normal pressure hydrocephalus. The poor resident got torn apart by the neuro consultant who insisted that NPH is a common presentation here.
    Then headed to the female medical ward to try and see some different stuff but no doctors to be found. I was directed back to the male medical unit. This time, I was introduced to cases much more readily and saw quite a few interesting ones.
    By 11.30 I was far too hot and had been abandoned by the doctor so decided to go meet the girls to get some lunch. Went to a nearby mall and had some prawn noodle thing which was very tasty, although I had no idea what I was actually eating! Also got dunkin donuts munchies!
    Headed back the hospital and gave ER another shot, still no joy! Decided to try the other female medical ward and found a really helpful resident who was actually willing to teach me some stuff, result. Saw a really tragic case that made me a bit upset, can’t help but think that if they were in the uk they might have been alright. Spent a bit of time with the resident but then she had finished her rounds so made an arrangement to go on her rounds with her tomorrow instead, fingers crossed!
    Headed back to the house with the girls. We then decided to go to a massive mall called SM city to get a few bits and bobs. Managed to get an Adidas peak cap, a play suit and a couple of vest tops, also some snacks for Friday when we are going on our first trip away.
    Spent a bit of time in the evening having a look at borocay and planning our trip there, then headed to bed.
    Read more