Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Obs and gynae day 5

    April 18, 2018 on the Philippines ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Up slightly earlier today ready to go to PYP clinic - pregnancy in young parents. Went to the outpatient department to find that there was 3 of us assigned to the clinic which seemed a bit much. We spoke to Ma’am Eden about it but she assured us that it would be fine. Got to the clinic to find a tiny clinic room and some seating outside. First of all the girls were given a ticket number and had to be weighed, the midwife got to do all of this while we just sat there so I was a bit annoyed. The girls were then given a lecture about family planning and HIV but all in Hilagynon so we couldn’t really understand. We had to introduce ourselves to them and then the clinic started. The girls ranged from 14-19 and some of them had partners with them. One girl was 15 with a 29 year old partner which we were all pretty disgusted about. In the clinic we were told that we would shadow the doctors and that the midwife would shadow the nurse. We quickly realised that this meant we would be ignored and not get to do anything so we asked if we could take it in turns to do the midwife bits - abdominal palpation and listening to the babies heart beats with a sonicaid. The 3 of us took it in turns through the clinic and by the end I felt quite confident in my technique so it was useful.
    After this we headed back to the office where I went really light headed and had to lay on the floor. I had some water and then felt ok. Came back to the house and ate lunch but then I started to feel really sick. Went to have a nap but basically ended up staying in bed all evening as I felt so rubbish. Attempted 1 mouthful of dinner but it didn’t go down well so I retreated back to my bed and watched Harry Potter for the rest of the evening.
    Read more